This is a delicious innovation with dosa. The flavour of mint, spring onion, coriander, capsicum, basil and chillies adds a spicy and tasty flavour to the dosa. Tastes best when served with potato curry!
The iron, folic acid, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and B vitamins in urad dal help meet your vitamin and mineral requirements. It also provides many of the nutrients your body needs, such as protein, fat, and carbohydrates.
Basil is an excellent source of vitamin K and a very good source of iron, calcium and vitamin A. Vitamin A is required for healthy eye sight, skin and hair. Basil tea is said to help recover from problems like dysentery, nausea and stomach ache due to gas. It is traditionally used for the treatment of stress, asthma, diabetes, common cold and cough too.
The other ingredients are healthy too and add an amazing flavour to the traditional dosa.
For The Batter
1 cup urad dal (split black lentils)
2 cups dosa rice
2 tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds
1 tbsp beaten rice flakes (poha)
1 cup mint leaves
1 cup coriander
4 green chillies
1/2 cup chopped spring onions
1 tbsp chopped capsicum
2 tsp chopped basil
salt to taste
oil for cooking and greasing
- Wash and soak the dosa rice, urad dal, fenugreek seeds and beaten rice flakes in enough water in a deep bowl and mix well. Cover with a lid and keep aside to soak for 8 to 10 hours.
- Drain and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste, using water. Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl.
- Cover with a lid and keep aside to ferment in a warm place for 8 to 10 hours.
- Blend the green chillies, spring onions , coriander, mint leaves, basil and capsicum in a mixer.
- Add this paste and salt to the batter and mix well.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle), sprinkle a little water on the tava (griddle) and wipe it off gently using a muslin cloth.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter on it and spread it in a circular motion to make a thin circle.
- Smear a little oil over it and along the edges and cook on a medium flame till the dosa turns golden brown in colour and crisp.
- Fold over to make a semi-circle or a roll.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make more dosas.
- Serve immediately with potato curry or coconut chutney.