Bitter gourd curry is a typical Indian recipe. The bitter gourd curry is easy to prepare! This is a very different curry and is a must try! Along with taste it is very healthy and it is a diabetic-friendly food!
Bitter gourd helps purify blood tissue, enhances digestion, and stimulates the liver. Bitter gourd is also contains vitamin A, B1, B2, and C. It also contains minerals like calcium, phosphorous, iron, copper and potassium. Bitter gourd helps to prevent or counteract type-II diabetes.
3 bitter gourd , sliced
1 onion , chopped
2 tomatoes , chopped
1 tbsp roasted and crushed peanuts
1 tsp coriander-cumin seeds (dhania-jeera) powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
a pinch asafoetida (hing)
1/2 tsp sugar
chopped coriander (dhania) for garnishing
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp salt on the bitter gourd slices and keep aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Drain and squeeze out the excess water and wash again. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the turmeric powder, asafoetida and bitter gourd and saute till bitter gourd are little soft.
- Add the onions and saute for 2 minutes. Then add tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally and add half cup of water, salt and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the chilli powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder, peanut powder and sugar, mix well and cook for 1 minute.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.