Cabbage also stimulates the immune system, kills harmful bacteria, soothes ulcers, and improves circulation. It has wonderful cleansing properties. Raw cabbage cleans the waste from the stomach and upper bowels which improves digestion and reduces constipation.
Yellow lentils like other lentils and pulses is a good source of protein and dietary fibre. Its regular use during childhood, pregnancy and lactation helps one to get the required nutrition and promotes health.
2 cups chopped cabbage
2 slit green chillies
2 tbsp yellow moong dal (yellow lentils) soaked in water for 3-4 hours
1 tsp chopped ginger
1 tbsp oil
1/4 tbsp mustard seeds
a few curry leaves
1/4 tbsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp chopped coriander
salt to taste
a pinch asafoetida (hing)
1/2 tsp. roasted coriander and cumin powder
- Heat the oil in a deep pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the green chillies, ginger, curry leaves, turmeric powder, coriander and cumin powder and asafoetida and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the moong dal and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the cabbage and salt and mix well and cook for 5 to 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Tip : Adding the ginger reduces the smell of the cabbage.