This is very popular Maharashtrian dish for diwali. It is easy to make and very delicious. The crunch of the poppy seeds adds texture to the recipe as a whole. The combination of rice flour and jaggery is very tasty. This is a sweet dish loved by all!
Rice flour is a good source of vitamins and minerals such as thiamine, niacin, iron, riboflavin, vitamin D and calcium. Being low in fibre, it is extremely soothing to the digestive system.
Jaggery is a rich source of iron. It also contains many minerals salts not found in ordinary sugar.Ayurveda also considers jaggery to be beneficial in treating throat and lung infections.
Poppy seeds are good pain relievers, which can soothe muscular and neuralgic pains. They are often taken for rheumatism. The milk extracted from poppy seeds, known as opium is taken with honey to cure insomnia. A paste of poppy seeds ground with lime juice is used as a topical application for dry itching. Poppy seeds are good pain relievers, which can soothe muscular and neuralgic pains. They are often taken for rheumatism.
1 cup rice flour
3/4 cup jaggery
1 tbsp poppy seeds
1 tsp ghee
ghee for deep frying
- Combine the rice flour and jaggery and blend in the mixer by adding little water to make a soft dough.
- Keep aside for 4-5 days in the air tight container.
- After 4-5 days take out from the container knead well adding little milk if required
- Place the poppy seeds in a flat clean surface.
- Make lemon sized balls of the dough, take a 1 ball and put some ghee on your fingers and on the ball, then put that lemon sized ball on some poppy seeds and flatten with your fingers till 1 1/2″ size (like a small puri).
- Heat the ghee in a kadhai and deep fry till light brown in colour.
- Do same with remaining portions.
- Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Serve warm or store in an air-tight container.