Chana masala is a north Indian style chickpea preparation with choicest spices and ingredients. The tomato and onion gravy is delectable and extremely delicious. The spices blend perfectly and make this curry exquisite. The roasted coriander and cumin seeds powder gives an extraordinary flavour to the curry!
Chickpeas are a good source of zinc, folate and protein. They are also very high in dietary fibre and hence a healthy food, especially as a source of carbohydrates for persons with insulin sensitivity or diabetes. They are naturally rich in protein important for muscle building and body growth.
Tomato puree extract contains a mix of potent antioxidants including lycopene, beta-carotene, vitamin E and various other phytonutrients. It has been associated with lowering blood pressure and boosting immune function. Tomato puree is rich in Vitamin C, which is known for its immune enhancing properties.
Onion is said to possess expectorant properties. It has been used as a food remedy for centuries in cold, cough, bronchitis and influenza. Onions are very valuable for people having high cholesterol levels or suffering from heart disorders.
1 cup soaked kabuli chana (white chickpea)
2 tsp corn flour
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp roasted coriander and cumin powder
1/4 tsp chilli powder
a pinch of turmeric
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp oil
few mint leaves
1 tbsp coriander leaves
salt to taste
1. Pressure cook the chana with salt on medium flame till 5-6 whistles.
2. When the steam escapes, keep the chana aside. Roast or blanch the tomatoes to remove the peel.
3. Chop the onions and tomatoes. Then, grind the onions, tomatoes, coriander leaves, mint leaves, corn flour into a fine paste.
4. Take a deep pan and put some oil in it.
5. Add mustard seeds and when the mustard seeds crackle add turmeric and the above paste.
6. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the coriander and cumin seeds powder, chilli powder, salt and sugar. Then cook for 5 more minutes.
7. Serve hot with Bhatura, Puri, Naan or any other Indian bread. Enjoy!