Black Lentils with Onions is a very healthy side dish which can be eaten with parathas, jowar roti and roti. The onions and spices add an amazing flavour to the mild taste of the Black Lentils. This dish is very flavoursome. It is a very unique but appetising side dish!
The iron, folic acid, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and B vitamins in urad dal help meet your vitamin and mineral requirements.It contains abundant protein, the building blocks of good health It provides many of the nutrients your body needs, such as protein, fat, and carbohydrates.
Onions are very much valuable for people having high cholesterol levels or suffering from heart disorders. Onions are a very good source of vitamin C, chromium and dietary fiber. They are also a good source of manganese, molybdenum, vitamin B6, and folate, potassium, phosphorous and copper.
2 cups urad dal (split black lentils)
1/4 cup water
salt to taste
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp coriander powder
a pinch turmeric powder
a pinch asafoetida
a few curry leaves
2 tbsp oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- Pressure cook the dal till two whistles.
- When the steam escapes take out the dal from the cooker and keep aside.
- Take a deep pan, put oil in it.
- When oil becomes hot, put mustard seeds and when mustard seeds crackle add turmeric powder, hing (asafoetida), curry leaves and onion.
- Then saute until they become light brown in colour.
- Then add salt, chilly powder, roasted coriander powder and the cooked urad dal.
- Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Serve hot with chapati or jowar roti.
Note : Use less water while cooking to avoid stickiness.