This unique and delicious combination of lettuce and onions is sure to become a favourite. The combination of fenugreek, mint, coriander and spinach with the onions, lettuce, pepper and butter gives the soup a creamy texture and wonderful taste. By drinking this soup, you can consume a whole lot of green leafy vegetables which are sure to improve your health!
Lettuce is fat free and low in calories.It has vitamin C content which prevents oxidation of cholesterol in heart. It is an excellent source for Vitamin A and folic acid.
Spinach is an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A, manganese, folate, magnesium, iron, vitamin C, vitamin B2, calcium, potassium, and vitamin B6.
Cooked spinach is an excellent source of iron, a mineral that it particularly important for menstruating women, who are more at risk for iron deficiency.
Mint leaves are considered an aid to the digestive system. It is an appetite stimulant and aids in the secretion of gastric juices.
Coriander has pain-relieving properties and is useful for headaches, muscle pain, stiffness and arthritis. Coriander is useful as a tea, because of its helpful effects on the digestive tract, and is good for increasing appetite, and relieving nausea, diarrhea, flatulence and indigestion.
2 cups iceberg lettuce leaves
1/4 cup spinach leaves
1 tbsp mint leaves
1 tbsp coriander leaves
1 tbsp fenugreek leaves
1 cup chopped onion
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1 green chilli
salt to taste
1 tbsp butter or oil
1. Heat the butter or oil in a deep non-stick pan. Add onion and saute for 2 minutes by adding a pinch of salt.
2. Add the lettuce, spinach, green chilli, coriander, mint and fenugreek leaves and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Add 2 cups of water and mix well.
3. Cover with a lid and cook for 7-8 minutes while stirring occasionally.
4. Allow it to cool for sometime and then blend in a mixer till pureed.
5. Transfer the puree into a deep non-stick pan and add salt, pepper and cumin powder.
6. Cook on a medium flame for 2-3 minutes stirring occasionally.
7. Serve hot!
Note: Use water if required for perfect consistency.