Dal Makhani or Maa Di Dal, as it is popularly known in Punjab, with its smooth velvety texture and lovely flavour is a delicacy that is very delicious. The moong combines wonderfully with the spices to make a simple but delectable recipe!
Moong, like other lentils and pulses, is a good source of protein and dietary fibre. It is low in fat and rich in B complex vitamins, calcium and potassium.
2 cups moong
4-5 cups water
1 tbsp oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp coriander and jeera powder
salt to taste
water as required (to adjust consistency)
1. Wash and clean the moong.
2. Add 4-5 cups of water and pressure cook for 4 whistles on low flame.
3. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
4. Mash the dal half way.
5. Take a deep pan and add oil. When the oil becomes hot, add mustard seeds and wait till they splutter. Then add turmeric powder, salt, chilli powder and coriander and jeera powder.
6. Then put the cooked moong in the deep pan.
7. Add water for the perfect consistency.
8. Cook for 5-6 minutes.
9. Serve hot with any Indian flatbread or rice! Enjoy! You can serve this with onion wedges and pickle.