Spinach Dal is one of the most famous dals in India and is extremely delicious. It can be eaten with rice or Indian flat bread too! Toovar dal with spinach is a wholesome dish, full of protein-rich dal. The combination of spinach, toovar dal and the spices is simple yet tasty!
It provides many of the nutrients your body needs, such as protein, fat and carbohydrates. It is especially rich in protein, the building block of good health. It is high in dietary fibre, low in saturated fat, and cholesterol free.
Spinach has antioxidants and as anti-cancer properties. The vitamin K provided by spinach is important for maintaining bone health. Cooked spinach is an excellent source of iron, a mineral that it particularly important for menstruating women, who are more at risk for iron deficiency. Boosting iron stores with spinach is a good idea, especially because, in comparison to red meat, a well-known source of iron, spinach provides iron for a lot less calories and is totally fat-free.
1 cup toovar Dal (toor dal, split pigeon pea)
2 cups spinach
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp roasted coriander and jeera (cumin) powder
1 tsp lemon juice
2 cups water
salt to taste
1. Combine the toovar dal, 2 cups of water, turmeric powder and spinach and pressure cook for 4 whistles on medium flame.
2. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
3. Add a little water, mix well and mash.
4. Take a deep pan and add oil. When the oil becomes hot, add mustard seeds and wait till they splutter. Then add the mashed dal, salt, chilli powder and coriander and jeera powder.
5. Cook for 5-6 minutes and then add the lemon juice.
7. Serve hot! Enjoy!