Khaman dhokla, a famous snack sold in every street of Gujarat, is no longer restricted to that region – it is famous all over the country. These can be called fluffy Indian cakes! They are very easy and quick to make, and are extremely delicious too. These yummy dhoklas can be eaten as breakfast, snack or as a side dish in the lunch or dinner menu.
When you compare besan with standard plain flour, you can see that nutritionally, besan is far superior, especially since it contains more protein.
Coriander is considered an aid to the digestive system. It is an appetite stimulant and aids in the secretion of gastric juices.
2 cups gram flour (besan)
1 cup chilled curd
1 cup hot water
2 chopped green chillies
1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
1/4 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp eating soda/ soda bi-carb
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp oil (to add to dough)
salt to taste
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp oil
1. Mix the curd and besan. Then add hot water and mix well to prevent lumps.
2. Keep aside for 3-4 hours for fermentation.
3. Add turmeric, salt, chillies and coriander leaves. Mix well.
4. Take a small vessel and put soda, 1/4 tsp oil and 1/4 tsp lemon juice.
5. Mix well and add to the above dough.
6. Heat the pressure cooker.
7. Take a deep vessel and grease it using a little oil.
8. Pour the above dough in the vessel and place it in the cooker for cooking.
9. Cook without the whistle for 10-15 minutes on medium flame.
10. Let it cool for 2 minutes, then cut into squares.
11. Make the tempering using the mustard seeds and oil and pour over the dhokla pieces.
12. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve immediately. Enjoy!