This recipe is an all time favourite of all Indians. The perfect combination of spices and cooked vegetables, with flavoursome pav bhaji masala and some lemon and coriander makes an irresistible curry which is best enjoyed with some pav or bread. This can be eaten as a snack when you’re hungry, or even for lunch and dinner!
Tomatoes are an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin A, and vitamin K. Tomatoes contain compounds that have been proven to help prevent diseases like cancer, heart disease, cataracts etc. Tomatoes are low in fat and calories, sodium- and cholesterol-free. Tomatoes are good in the development of healthy teeth, bones, skin and hair; lowering blood pressure and cholesterol levels and possibly reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease.
1 1/2 cup green peas
1 1/2 cup carrots
1 cup potato
1 cup capsicum
1 cup onion
1 tbsp oil
5 medium sized tomatoes
1 tbsp coriander leaves
1 tsp mint leaves
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
a pinch turmeric powder
1/4 tsp chilli powder
pav bhaji masala as required
pav or bread as required
butter as required
salt to taste
1. Pressure cook the potatoes, carrots and green peas.
2. Take a non-stick pan and add 1 tbsp oil, 1/4 tsp mustard seeds.
3. Wait till the mustard seeds splutter and add the onion, tomato (unpeeled, half cut tomatoes) and capsicum.
4. Cook for 5-10 minutes stirring occasionally.
5. Peel the tomatoes now, and grind the tomatoes, onion, capsicum, carrots coriander leaves, and mint leaves.
6. Cook the above paste for 2 minutes. Then add mashed potatoes and green peas.
7. Then add the pav bhaji masala, salt, a pinch of turmeric powder,chilli powder, and water (if required- to adjust consistency)
8. Cook for 5-10 minutes on low flame.
9. Top it with some lemon juice.
9. Serve hot with toasted bread or bun/pav