Kanda poha is very wholesome and tasty. You can make it any time of the day- as breakfast, dinner or a simple snack. The combination of the tomato, potato and onions with the poha is a perfect one. The lemon juice and tempering adds extra flavour to this Maharashtrian favourite recipe!
Onions are a very good source of vitamin C, chromium and dietary fiber. They are also a good source of manganese, molybdenum, vitamin B6, and folate, potassium, phosphorous and copper. Onions are very much valuable for people having high cholesterol levels or suffering from heart disorders.
2 bowls poha (medium beaten rice)
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup peeled and chopped potato
1 cup chopped tomato
2 tbsp chopped coriander
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp gram flour
2 tbsp oil
4 green chillies
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 roasted coriander and cumin powder
a pinch of chilli powder
salt to taste
1. Clean and wash the poha and soak for a minute.
2. Drain the water after a minute and keep aside.
3. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the chillies, mustard seeds, potato, onion, a pinch of salt and tomato and sauté on a medium flame for 5-7 minutes (till ready).
4. Add the turmeric powder, coriander and cumin powder and a pinch of chilli powder. 5. Saute for a minute.
6. Now, take the poha and add salt as required and gram flour. Mix well.
7. Now, put the poha into the deep non-stick pan and mix well.
8. Cook with lid for 4-5 minutes stirring occasionally.
9. Garnish with lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves.