Bhindi accompanied with everyday ingredients like tomato puree, onions, chillies and spices gives a tasty, delectable and healthy subzi that is quick and easy to make! The semi-gravy gives a wonderful texture to this dish. It can be best enjoyed with Indian breads!
Lady’s finger is a green vegetable and consists of good amounts of vitamin A, required for growth and repair of skin as well as maintain vision. There are also fair amounts of Vitamin C, which boosts immunity. Also, there are good amounts for dietary fiber present, hence it is low in calories and considered good for people on weight loss.
1/2 kg okra (cut into long strips)
1 cup onions (chopped)
1.4 cup tomato puree
2 red byadagi chillies
oil 2 tbsp
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp roasted coriander powder
1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder
1/4 tsp fennel seed powder
1/4 tsp chilli powder
salt to taste
1. Take a deep pan and put oil in it. When the oil becomes hot add mustard seeds.
2. Then add turmeric, and okra. Saute for 20 minutes or till almost ready.
3. Then add chopped onions and cook for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add the tomato puree, salt, chilli powder, roasted coriander and cumin powder and fennel seed powder.
5. Cook for 5-6 minutes on low heat mixing occasionally.
6. Take a small pan (tadka pan), add little oil and add the byadagi chillies and fry for 1/2 a minute and pour it over the curry. Mix well.
7. Serve hot with chapati, roti, naan or puri. Enjoy!
Note : This is a semi-gravy recipe. To avoid stickiness of the okra, add one tsp of lemon juice while cooking.