This Dum Aloo is healthy and easy to make. The combination of the onion, tomatoes, cashews, chillies and various other spices in the gravy make it extremely rich and delicious. The deep fried potatoes and this rich and creamy gravy together make an amazing curry.
Tomatoes are an excellent source of vitamins C, A and K. They are also a very good source of potassium, manganese and dietary fibre. The lycopene in tomatoes is a potent antioxidant. It fights the spread of cancer cells and is proven to prevent heart disease. Consumption of tomatoes gives you glowing skin and healthy hair.
Onions are a very good source of vitamin C, chromium and dietary fiber. They are also a good source of manganese, molybdenum, vitamin B6, and folate, potassium, phosphorous and copper. It has been used as a food remedy for centuries in cold, cough, bronchitis and influenza.
Baby potatoes are less in calories and naturally fat free. They are a moderate source of vitamins, namely folate, Vitamin C, B1 and B6. It does not contain any cholesterol which helps reduce risk of heart disease.
30 to 40 baby potatoes
5 tomatoes (peeled and pureed)
oil for deep frying
1 to 2 cinnamon sticks
salt to taste
1/4 tsp roasted coriander and jeera powder
To make smooth onion paste:
3 roughly chopped onions
2 green chillies
10-15 whole cashewnuts
2 tsp funnel seeds
little turmeric powder
2 kashmiri chillies
1 tbsp coriander leaves
1 tsp jeera
1. Boil and peel the baby potatoes, keep aside for five minutes and then deep fry till light brown in colour.
2. Take a deep pan, put two teaspoons of oil in it. Then add the cinnamon sticks, and the cloves.
3. Then add the onion paste and the tomato puree.
4. Cook for 2 minutes. Then add salt, chilli powder, roasted coriander and jeera powder and baby potatoes.
5. Cook for 10-12 minutes.
6. Serve hot with Indian breads or jeera rice! Enjoy!